Kansas City, New York and London - BATS Global Markets (BATS) today reported June data and highlights including the company’s best market share in European equities since November 2012 and the third-best month on record in U.S. options.
BATS reported 9.6% market share in U.S. options, up from 3.9% one year ago. In U.S. equities, BATS reported market share of 20.1%, while BATS remained the #1 U.S. market for exchange-traded fund (ETF) trading in June, executing 26.2% of all ETF volume.
In Europe, BATS Chi-X Europe’s market share rose year-on-year in all 15 markets in which the exchange offers trading, and set a new monthly record for trading Spain’s IBEX 35 stocks at 24.3%. The exchange also set one-day records with 28.9% market share in IBEX stocks on June 1st and 35.9% share in DAX
stocks on June 11th.
In Europe, BXTR, the company’s trade reporting facility, also retained the #1 spot, with €401.4 billion reported, an average of €18.2 billion per trading day.
Hotspot, BATS’ institutional spot foreign exchange market, posted average daily volume of $25.7 billion in June vs. $27.5 billion one year ago.
In all, the BATS markets executed $113.2 billion of notional volume per day in June.
U.S. Equities and Options – Highlights, Volume and Market Share Statistics
- BATS reported U.S. equities market share of 20.1% in June, up from 19.2% one year ago. Average daily matched volume on the BATS Exchanges was 1.29 billion shares, up from 1.12 billion shares one year ago.
- BATS’ options exchange, BZX Options, remained the largest maker-taker pricing options exchange in June with 9.6% market share, up from 3.9% one year ago.
- BATS Exchange welcomed a new issuer, Pacer ETFs, to its market with the launch of three new ETFs on June 12th.
- BATS also welcomed the iShares Convertible Bond ETF to its market on June 4th bringing the total number of ETFs from iShares listed on BATS Exchange to 22.
- During June, the BZX Exchange ranked 1st or 2nd in quality of trading in 63% of the stocks in the S&P 500® Index, as measured by effective spread, according to the BATS market quality statistics.
- Combined, the BATS Exchanges had the lowest effective spread in 48 of the top 100 exchange-traded products in June.
- The five most actively-traded options classes on BZX Options during June were the Standard & Poor’s Depositary Receipt ETF Trust (SPY), Apple Inc. (AAPL), iShares Russell 2000 Index ETF (IWM), PowerShares QQQ Trust, Series 1 ETF (QQQ), and Facebook Inc. (FB).
Foreign Exchange – Hotspot Highlights, Volume and Market Share Statistics
- Hotspot posted average daily volume of $25.7 billion in June vs. $26.8 billion in May. Total volume traded on Hotspot in June was $565.7 billion (22 trading days) vs. $578.3 billion one year ago (21 trading days).
About BATS Global Markets, Inc.
BATS Global Markets, Inc., a leading global operator of exchanges and services for financial markets, is committed to Making Markets Better for traders, investors and issuers. In Europe, BATS operates the largest pan-European equities exchange, offering trading and listing services across 15 major European markets, as well as BXTR, the continent’s largest trade reporting facility. In the U.S., BATS operates four stock exchanges – BZX, BYX, EDGX and EDGA – and regularly ranks as the top market for ETF and retail-driven liquidity. The company is a listing venue for ETFs and other structured products, also operates a U.S. equity options market, BATS BZX Options, and is launching BATS EDGX Options later in 2015. Globally, BATS serves the foreign exchange (FX) market, the world’s largest asset class, with Hotspot, a leading institutional spot foreign exchange market. With its world-class technology and relentless customer focus, BATS strives to bring efficiency, transparency and fairness to market participants. The company is headquartered in Kansas City with offices in New York, London, Chicago and Singapore. Further information on BATS can be found at www.bats.com and by following us on Twitter @BATSGlobal.