Kansas City, New York and London – BATS Global Markets (BATS) today reported October data and highlights including record market share of 26.0% in European Equities, surpassing the previous record of 25.9% set in November 2011.
Additionally, BATS Chi-X Europe reported average daily notional traded at €12.8 billion. BXTR, the company’s trade reporting facility, remained #1 in Europe, with €390.1 billion reported, an average of €17.3 billion per trading day.
In U.S. Equities, BATS reported one of its strongest months on record with market share of 21.2% in October, down from the record 22.0% in September and 21.4% reported one year ago. Average daily matched volume on the BATS Exchanges was 1.52 billion shares, down from 1.67 billion shares one year ago.
In U.S. Options, BATS successfully launched second options market, EDGX Options, on Monday, November 2nd. BATS reported market share of 7.9% for its BZX Options market in October, up from 6.5% one year ago.
BATS remained the #1 U.S. market for ETF trading in October, executing 27.2% of all ETF volume, its second-best month on record. BATS also welcomed a new issuer – WisdomTree – to its U.S. market in October with the launch of three new ETFs on October 29th.
Hotspot, BATS’ institutional spot foreign exchange market, posted average daily volume of $23.9 billion in October vs. $26.2 billion in September. Total volume traded on Hotspot in October was $526.9 billion (22 trading days) vs. $575.9 billion in September (22 trading days).
In all, the BATS markets executed $115.3 billion of notional volume per day in October.
U.S. Equities and Options – Highlights, Volume and Market Share Statistics
- BATS launched its second options exchange – EDGX Options – on Monday, November 2nd. The new market is based on a customer priority/pro rata allocation model. Symbols will be available for trading on EDGX Options in a phased roll-out over the course of two weeks with the last phase being rolled out on Monday, November 16th.
- On October 1st, BATS unveiled the new BATS ETF Marketplace, a market specifically structured and designed for ETF issuers and their investors. With this initiative, BATS introduced the BATS ETF Issuer Incentive program and enhanced BATS Lead Market Maker program.
- On October 29th, BATS welcomed WisdomTree, one of the world’s leading ETF sponsors and asset managers, as a new issuer listing three new ETFs on BATS Exchange.
- During October, the BZX Exchange ranked 1st or 2nd in quality of trading in 58.6% of the stocks in the S&P 500® Index, as measured by effective spread, according to the BATS market quality statistics.
- Combined, the BATS Exchanges had the lowest effective spread in 46 of the top 100 exchange-traded products in October.
- The five most actively-traded options classes on BZX Options during October were the Standard & Poor’s Depositary Receipt ETF Trust (SPY), Apple Inc. (AAPL), iShares Russell 2000 Index ETF (IWM), PowerShares QQQ Trust, Series 1 ETF (QQQ), and Facebook Inc. (FB).
- BATS Chi-X Europe launched its Periodic Auctions Book on Monday, October 19th, which allows market participants to access auction functionality throughout the trading day, in a bid to encourage trading in larger size.
Hotspot daily, monthly, and quarterly volumes are posted on the Hotspot website.
- Hotspot will be migrating its U.S. matching engine to the Equinix NY5 data center on Monday, November 9, 2015.
About BATS Global Markets, Inc.
BATS Global Markets, Inc., a leading global operator of exchanges and services for financial markets, is committed to Making Markets Better for traders, investors and issuers. In Europe, BATS operates the largest pan-European equities exchange, offering trading and listing services across 15 major European markets, as well as BXTR, the continent’s largest trade reporting facility. In the U.S., BATS operates four stock exchanges – BZX, BYX, EDGX and EDGA – and regularly ranks as the top market for ETF and retail-driven liquidity. The company is a listing venue for ETFs and other structured products, also operates two U.S. equity options markets – BATS BZX Options and BATS EDGX Options. Globally, BATS serves the foreign exchange (FX) market, the world’s largest asset class, with Hotspot, a leading institutional spot foreign exchange market. With its world-class technology and relentless customer focus, BATS strives to bring efficiency, transparency and fairness to market participants. The company is headquartered in Kansas City with offices in New York, London, Chicago and Singapore.